Microsoft SQL Server is provided with different licenses. Free version is named
Express Edition . Express Edition is very useful if we need a little database.
We will download the SQL Server 2017 Express Edition from following link which is provided by Microsoft.
We will download a simple install starter executable which is name
SQLServer2017... . This will start the process and do not provide all packages which will be install. All packages installed from internet.
Select SQL Server 2017 Installation Type
There are different installation type. We can use following installation types.
- `Basic` type will install default packages by downloading from internet. In this tutorial we will use this installation type.
- `Custom` type provides customization features where we can install extra features of MS SQL or remote some default features.
- `Download Media` type will only download from internet and do not start installation. This can be useful if we do not have an internet connection and install MS SQL.
Accept License Terms
As usual the Microsoft SQL Server license.
Download Install Package
Installation packages will be downloaded from internet to the local. After download is complete we do not need internet anymore.
After the installation packages are downloaded to the local from internet we will continue with the installation of the SQL Server packages.
Installation has complete successfully. After installation screen we will see some configuration options which can be used in further usage. We will get following information.
- `Instance Name` will display database server instance name.
- `SQL Administrators` will display users who is Administrator for installed SQL Server.
- `Features Installed` will display installed features.
- `Version` will display installed SQL Server Express Version.
List MS SQL Server Express Service Status
There is different ways to list SQL Server Express status. In this case we will Powershell. We will use
Get-Service commandlet to list MS Sql Service status.
PS> Get-Service 'MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS'
Start MS SQL Server Express Service
We will use following commandlet to start MS SQL Server Express edition with the
PS> Start-Service 'MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS'
Stop MS SQL Server Express Service
We will use
Stop-Service powershell command in order to stop MS SQL Server Express.
PS> Stop-Service 'MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS'