SQL Server is a service running on Windows operating systems. In order to manage this SQL server service and instances with GUI we need to install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
Download Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
We will download the installer application from the following link.
Start The Installation Process
We will start downloaded installer and we will see following screen which is a welcome screen for the installation process. We will just click to the install button.
After we click to the install the process will continue with the download of required packages.
Start SQL Server Management Studio
We will start SQL Server Management Studio and we will see following startup screen which will also provide the version of the SSMS . In this case it is
Connect To SQL Server
We will see a
Connect to Server screen which will list some options. We generally provide username and password in order to login local or remote SQL Server Database. There is following options to provide.
- `Server Type` specifies what is the remote server type like Database Engine etc.
- `Server Name` is the name or IP adress of the server. We generally provide the IP address and the instance name of the SQL Server. In this example `DESKTOP_HQVAMA3` is the hostname and `SQLEXPRESS` is the instance name.
- `Authentication` specifies which type of authentication will be used and authentication parameters like username and password. In this case we select `Windows Authentication` which will use `Windows Operating System` credentials for user `İsmail Baydan`
SQL Server Authentication Types
As stated in previous part there is different type of authentication. But the most populars are
- `Windows Authentication` will use current Windows User credentials.
- `SQL Server Authentication` will use provided user name like `sa` and password.
- `Active Directory` types will authentication from a Active Directory.
Object Explorer or Databases
After a successful login we will see following screen. This screen provides dashboard for SQL server management. This pane is named as
Object Explorer which provides
Server Objects etc. We can manage databases we have right to manage from the