Atom Text/Code Editor is very powerful and original editor used in Linux distributions like Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Fedora, Kali, CentOS, etc. Atom calls it as
hackable text editor for the 21st Century as it provides very dynamic features for a simple text editor.
Atom Text/Code Editor Features
Atom Text/Code editor provides a lot of unique features in a powerful manner. Here are some of them.
- `Teletype for Atom` feature can be used to share knowledge with other developers and makes collaboration very easy from the code editor.
- `GitHub for Atom` is a useful feature to use `GitHub` from directly from the Atom Code Editor
- Atom Editor is `Cross-Platform` where it can be used in operating systems like Windows, OS X too
- `Built-in Package Manager` can be used to search and install new packages and features into the Atom Editor.
- `Smart Autocompletion` is very useful while writing code which will help write code faster and with fewer errors
- `Themes` will help to personalize the Atom Editor interface.
Download Atom Text/Code Editor Package
We will download the Atom Text/Code Editor
.deb file from the https://www.atom.io main page. We will click to the
Download .deb button like below.
Alternatively, we can download the
atom-amd64.deb with the
wget from the terminal command line. Keep in mind that
$ wget "https://atom-installer.github.com/v1.38.2/atom-amd64.deb?s=1560782772&ext=.deb"
Install Atom Text/Code Editor
In order to install
debpackage f Atom Text/Code Editor named
atom-amd64.deb . We will also provide the
sudo for root privileges.
$ sudo dpkg -i atom-amd64.deb
Run Atom Text/Code Editor
We can run the Atom Text/Code Editor from the command line with the
atom command or from the menu
We will see the following Atom welcome screen and guide.