Zip is the most popular compression format and the algorithm used IT. Zip is used to make a group or files and folders into one and compress it with its algorithm to take fewer sizes which can be changed according to its files.
Open Using Windows Zip Tool
As zip is very popular compression format and algorithm it is required by most of the Windows users. Windows Vista and previous operating systems like Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 do not contain any support to open Zip files natively. But with the Windows 7 and later operating systems like Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008 and later provides built-in Zip support which means Zip files can be opened or created without a 3rd party application.
In order to open Zip file right click to the files and select
Extract All.. from the opened menu like below. This will create
We will see that after the extraction extracted directory will be named with the same as the compressed file.
Open Using WinZip
WinZip is one of the most popular compression tool used in Windows operating systems. It is created for the
Zip compressions format and algorithm but throughout the time it gained support for different compression algorithms and formats like 7zip, RAR, Bzip, etc. We can download and install WinZip from the following link.
Open Using 7zip
7zip is my favorite compression tool for different formats. It’s lightweight and easy to install and use.
7zip is created for the
7z compression algorithm and format but also support a wide variety of compression algorithms and formats like RAR, Zip, Bzip, etc.
We will right click to the zip file and hover to the
7-zip menu like below. Then we will select one of the 3 menu options like below which starts with
- `Extract files…` will only extract specified files and folders to the current path
- `Extract Here` will extract all files and folder contents of the zip file into the current path
- `Extract to …` will extract all files and folder contents into the specified folder which is `eclipse-java-2019-03-R-win32-x86_64` in this example
Open Using Winrar
WinRAR is another popular and useful compression utility. WinRAR is mainly created for the RAR compression algorithm and format but gained a different type of popular compressions formats and algırithms support like Zip, 7zip, Bzip like other tools. We can download WinRar from the following link.
We will right click to the Zip compressed file like below and then we will see the WinRar menu items are listed like below. We have 3 extraction option.
- `Extract Files…` will extract only specified or selected files not all the content
- `Extract Here` will extract the content of the compressed file to the current working directory
- `Extract to …` options will create a folder named with the Zip file and put the extracted files into this folder which is `eclipse-java-2019-03-R-win32-x86_64` in this example.