Bookmarks are an important component of the Web Browsers. Google Chrome uses Bookmarks traditionally. Bookmark is normal life used to set the page of a book when we read it and later find and resume from there. In web browsers, bookmarks are used to store web page and its URL in order open just a few clicks without writing or remembering the whole URL.
What Is Bookmark Bar?
Bookmark bar generally located under the address bar with its contents and some icons related with the bookmarked URL. The bookmark can be also categorized or stored under folders like below. In this example, we can see that
Programming is a folder where its subfolder
C# contains a bookmark to the
Poftut C# Category.
Bookmark An URL or Web Page
We can bookmark an URL or Web Page in different ways. We can use Google Chrome menu like
Bookmark this page. We can also use
Ctrl+D keyboard short cut in order to bookmark the currently active page.
We will see the following
Edit Bookmark windows in order to save the given page bookmark. We can change the name of the bookmark or change the folder we want to save.
Open Bookmark Manager
Bookmarks can be managed with the
Bookmark manager. We can add, remove, update, change bookmarks from Bookmark manager. We can open Bookmark manager from
Bookmark manager. Alternatively, we can use
Ctrl+Shift+O keyboard shortcut to directly open Bookmark manager.
We will see a screen like below. On the left sidebar, Bookmarks will be listed in tree form. We can navigate by using it. Also in the main body, we will see the bookmarks and folders where we can take some actions about them.
Manage Bookmarks with Bookmark Manager
We can do following actions by using the right menu line.
- `Edit` will edit the current bookmark name and URL like below.
- `Copy URL` will copy the bookmark URL and then we can paste and use it in wherever we want.
- `Delete` will delete and remove given bookmark from bookmark list and bar.
- `Open in new tab` will open the given bookmark URL in a new tab
- `Open in new windows` will open the given bookmark URL in a new window separate from the current.
- `Open in incognito windows` will open the given bookmark URL in a new incognito window where user history and cookies do not store.
We can also manage Bookmark folders from Bookmark Manager like below.
- `Rename` will update the name of the given bookmark folder
- `Delete` will delete the given bookmark folder.
- `Open All Bookmarks` will open all child bookmarks of the given folder in new tabs.
- `Open all in a new window`will open all child bookmarks of the given folder in new window tabs.
- `Open all in incognito window`will open all child bookmarks of the given folder in new incognito window tabs.
Show Bookmark Bar
We can show the bookmark bar from the
Show bookmarks bar menu. Alternatively, we can use
Ctrl+Shift+B keyboard shortcut which will also show the bookmark bar. This setting will show the bookmark bar always.
Hide Bookmark Bar
We can also hide the bookmark bar from the browser. This will not remove or delete bookmarks but just do not show in the main screen directly. We will just use
Show bookmarks bar which will be unchecked. Alternatively, we can use
Ctrl+Shift+B keyboard shortcut in order to hide the bookmark bar.