LXDE is light but eye-candy desktop environment mainly used by Linux distributions. Ubuntu supports as a sub-distribution for a long time named
Lubuntu . In this tutorial, we will look at how to install Lubuntu.
Lubuntu is fast and lightweight operating system based Ubuntu. It uses a minimal desktop environment named Lxde with the selection of light applications. Another main motivation of Lubuntu is less energy usage. This will make Lubuntu useful for Laptops.
Download ISO Image
Lubuntu image can be download from
lubuntu.net . Lubuntu is provided as two versions 32 bit or 64 bit. I will use 64-bit Lubuntu in this tutorial. The size of both versions are similar and the 64-bit version is
Mount or Burn
Before starting installation we need to decide where we will install Lubuntu. If we will install into a virtual machine we should mount it to VM. If we will install into physical hardware like a laptop, netbook or pc we should burn it into a CD or USB. In this example, I will install into a VM.
We will look Lubuntu installation step by step. We will use Lubuntu 17.04 which is the most recent version at the time of writing this tutorial.
We will select the installation language
We have different options like
- Try Ubuntu where Lubuntu will not installed and run a live system but changes will do not save
Install Ubuntuwhere we will install ubuntu
Chech disk for defectswill make a disk check against disk hard or soft errors
Test memorywill test ram
Boot from first harddiskwill boot from attached first hard disk.
We will see the following welcome screen which shows the name of the
We will select the language used after installation. Here we will select the
English as language.
Update and Multimedia
Here we will select install updates during installation and also enable multimedia plugins. This will download newer packages and multimedia related packages like ffmpeg etc during installation. This will make the installation a longer time.
This is the disk configuration where we will select the disk configuration from 4 different options.
- `Erase disk and install Lubuntu` will wipe the given disk and made a fresh install.
- `Encrypt the new Lubuntu installation for security` will encrypt created hard disk partitions which will provide security and privacy.
- `Use LVM with the new Lubuntu installation` will use `LVM` disk type which is used to add remove disks easily running the Lubuntu and increase decrease partition sizes.
- `Something else` will be used for a manual configuration where we can manually specify the configuration.
As disk operations are critical like deleting, formatting we have to approve explicitly them. This step will delete specified partition content and create new
ext4 file system.
Set Time zone
As I am living in Turkey I select Istanbul time zone. We can select the time zone by clicking to the map.
We will select the keyboard layout with sub-layouts. I am currently using
Turkish language default layout which is
Create User and Set Password
We create an initial user by setting user name, real name, and password with the computer name.
As we can see that
- `Your name` is the full name of the user which is `ismail` but we can also use the surname or similar.
- `Your computer’s name` is the computer or hostname where we can change it whatever we want.
- `Pick a username` were we will set our Linux system user name which will be used for authentication, authorization, etc.
- `Choose a password` will be used to specify the user password. Also, some feedback about password complexity is provided which is `Fair` in this case.
- `Confirm your password` is used to double check previously defined password.
- `Log in automatically` will log in to the current user session without any password check or authentication.
- `Required my password to log in` will check the password of the user for session.
- `Encrypt my home folder` will encrypt the users home directory which is a practical security metric.
This is the installation phase where the specified default packages will be downloaded and installed into the system.
Installation is complete we need to restart the system.
We can use our Lubuntu installation by providing our user password.