Anonymity and Privacy are important topics of this decade. A lot of states, companies or persons try to crack or censorship peoples anonymity and privacy. There are different ways to protect us from these attacks.
Tail OS is a Linux based distribution which provides these protections as a Live operating system.
Tail OS can be used in different ways. The main usage is live where we do not need to install into computer hard disk. We will just install into a USB stick and run in every computer we boot from USB.
Another use case is downloading ISO file and installing into a hard disk permanently. ISO file can be downloaded from the following link. The file size is about 1.2 GB
Tail OS is developed by Tails Team and provided as Freeware.
- Anonymity is provided by Tail OS by default so it uses some VPN’s and search engines like DuckDuckGo to prevent data collection.
- Tor is default open and all request to the internet will be routed through Tor anonymous network.
- If opened with USB stick it will do not write anything to the local disk. So this will leave no trace about the usage.
- It provides state of art encryption tools and algorithms. It supports encrypting files, emails, instant messaging etc.
Tail OS provides following applications for better security, anonymity and censorship prevention.
- VeraCrypt is file, disk and volume encryption tool which uses Trucrypt base.
- `OpenPGP` provides public and private key management with different encryption algorithms
- `Nautilus` is a file and folder manager which can securely and completely delete files and folders
- `KeePassX` is a password manager to make users life easier.
- `GtkHash` is a hash calculator to calculate checksums
- `keyringer` is used for sharing encrypted secrets between parties