Ubuntu is a very popular Linux distribution and operating system. Ubuntu provides different Desktop flavors like KDE, Gnome, Unity, XFCE, Mate. In this tutorial, we will download, install and take a look to the Ubuntu Mate Desktop.
Download Ubuntu Mate
Ubuntu Mate provided for different architectures and platforms. 64 bit and 32 bit x86, RaspberryPi(ARMv7, ARMv8), GPD Pocket platforms are supported. In this case, we will download the 64-bit PC or x86 platform.
When we click to the
64-bit will see the following screen which provides 2 versions of Ubuntu. We will select the
19.04 (Disco) which is the latest but do not have long term support.
We will see the following screen which provides ISO file as torrent, magnet link or file.
Create Ubuntu Mate Installation Medium/USB/CD
If we will install the Ubuntu Mate into a physical PC, Laptop, RaspberryPi we should burn the ISO file onto a CD, USB or similar medium. We can use the following tutorial which explains.
Install Ubuntu Mate
We will see the following screen where it is the start of the Ubuntu Mate.
If we are installing Ubuntu Mate for the VmWare the installation will start automatically like below.
Ubuntu Mate First Look
In this part, we will look at some popular components of the MATE desktop.
We can see that there are different applications categories like,
- `All` contains all applications
- `Favourites` contains favorite applications
- `Accessories` contains helpful applications
- `Administration` contains administrative applications like Startup Disk Creator, Users and Groups
- `Education` contains educational applications if they are installed
- `Graphics` contains applications used to view, create, edit graphics like Shotwell, Gimp, etc
- `Internet` contains internet-related applications like Firefox, Thunderbird, Transmission
- `Office` contains office-related applications like LibreOffice, Atril Document Viewer
- `Preferences` contains personal configuration about the MATE and Desktop experience like Appearance, About User, Displays etc.
- `Sound&Video` contains applications like Brasero, Cheese, VLC Media Player
- `System Tools` contains Mate Terminal, Mate Disk Usage Analyzer, Mate System Monitor
Install Software To Ubuntu MATE
We can install the Ubuntu MATE packages with the
Software&Updates applications. We can access it from
Software&Updates like below.
We will see the following screen where we can change package and repository related configurations. We can install the synaptic GUI based package manager with the following command from the terminal.
$ sudo apt install synaptic
We can now open the Synaptic Package Manager from the
Menu like below.
We will be asked for the password to get root privileges.
The main screen of the Synaptic Package Manager is like below.
Ubuntu Mate is periodically checking for the updates. When there are new versions of the installed packages they are listed for the update like below.
Ubuntu Mate Control Center
We can change various configuration about the Ubuntu Mate from the
Control Center which will open a screen like below.
As we can see we can change different configuration about the Ubuntu Mate from the Control Center.
Session Lock Screen
After some time if there is no interaction with the Mate we will see the following Lock Screen where we can unlock with the user password.