Zettabyte is a storage and speed unit used in computing. It is related with the byte where Zetta comes from the Latin language to express 1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 as decimal form. In this tutorial, we will examine the zettabyte use cases, capacity comparison, and comparison with other storage units like KB, MB, GB, etc.
Zettabyte To Byte, Kilobyte, Megabyte, Gigabyte, Terabyte, Petabyte, Exabyte
A zettabyte is a storage and speed unit used to provide information about the internet, storage, disk, data sizes. It is currently not used by the consumers where consumer size is between MB and TB but in enterprise area it is heavily used with the increase of the speeds and sizes.
1 ZB or 1 Zettabyte = 1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 Byte 1 ZB or 1 Zettabyte = 1.000.000.000.000.000.000 Kilobyte or KB 1 ZB or 1 Zettabyte = 1.000.000.000.000.000 Megabyte or MB 1 ZB or 1 Zettabyte = 1.000.000.000.000 Gigabyte or GB 1 ZB or 1 Zettabyte = 1.000.000.000 Terrabyte or TB 1 ZB or 1 Zettabyte = 1.000.000 Petabyte or PB 1 ZB or 1 Zettabyte = 1.000 Exabyte or EB 1 ZB or 1 Zettabyte = 1 Zettabyte or ZB
Zettabyte Use Cases
With the advancement of IT and technology Zettabyte became more popular and used in different areas. Below we will list some usage cases and areas about Zettabyte.
- GUID Partition Table (GPT) allows 7 zettabytes maximum disk and partition size.
- ZFS is a Linux based file system where the maximum storage capacity of about 256 quadrillion zettabytes.
Comparison Scale For Zettabyte
A zettabyte is used for different cases and can be compared for different scales. Below we will list some comparisons for different scales.
- In 2003 Mark Liberman expressed that for all human speech ever spoken needs 42 zettabytes if digitized.
- In 2008, Americans alone consumed 3.6 zettabytes of information.
- As of 2009, Word Wide Web or WWW is about 0.5 zettabyte data.
- In 2013, the amount of data generated worldwide is reached 4 zettabytes.
- In 2021 it is elected that internet traffic triple and reaches 3.3 zettabytes.
What Led To Zettabyte
What makes the zettabyte usage so popular? There are different cause which led to the zettabyte usage which is mainly related to internet speed and capacity.
Increased video streaming is the main contributor to the zettabyte usage. Streaming services like YouTube, Netflix, Online Movie sites, Streaming services increased internet traffic and bandwidth usage enormously.
Mobile Devices created a lot of mobiles and moving clients and internet access from everywhere which led to the zettabyte usage.
Big Data is another factor where different devices, sensors, and services created huge information and data which should be transferred and stored in zettabyte level infrastructure.