Apache Tomcat is an open-source implementation of the Java Servlet, Java Server Pages, Java Expression Language, and WebSocket technologies. Apache Tomcat generally called as Tomcat in IT community. Tomcat provides a clean, easy, simple HTTP Web Server environment for the Java programming language.
Apache Tomcat is created, developed, and maintained by an open-source community where it is licensed with the Apache License 2.0 which is also an open-source license too. Apache Tomcat has a big and active community and user base. Different web sites like tomcatexpert.com provides a solution base for different problems and cases.
Apache Tomcat History and Versions
Apache Tomcat created by James Duncan Davidson which was an architect in Sun Microsystems. Even it was a servlet reference implementation at the start later it became an open source project and donated to the Apache Software foundation.
- In 1998, the development of the Apache Tomcat is started.
- In 1999 the first release of the Apache Tomcat which is numbered and versioned as 3.0.
- In 2002 Apache Tomcat 4.1 released which was supporting Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 specifications.
- In November 2004, Apache Tomcat 5.0 released with the support of Servlet 2.4, JSP 2.0 and EL 1.1.
- In February 2007, Apache Tomcat 6.0 released with Servlet 2.5, JSP 2.1 and EL 2.1 support.
- In January 2011, Apache Tomcat 7.0 released with Servlet 3.0, JSP 2.2 and WebSocket support.
- June 2014, Apache Tomcat 8.0 released with Servlet 3.1, JSP 2.3 and EL 3.0 support.
- June 2016, Apache Tomcat 8.5 released with important features like HTTP/2, OpenSSL for JSSE, TLS Virtual Hosting etc.
- January 2018, Apache Tomcat 9.0 released with Servlet 4.0 support. This version is the latest version currently.
- Apache Tomcat 10.0 is expected to be released in 2020 with the Servlet 5.0, JSP 3.0, EL 4.0, WebSocket 2.0 and Authentication 2.0 support.
Apache TomEE is the Java Enterprise Edition of Apache tomcat which ads some enterprise projects like Apache OpenEJB, Apache OpenWebBeans, etc. Apache TomEE is also compatible with the Java EE 6 and later Web Profile which is started in October 2011.