Content Management System or
Content Management System or CMS provides a lot of useful features that make CMS the first choice for most of the people to create a web site.
- Plugins and Extensions to extend the features of the CMS.
- Easy indexing capabilities which make the search engines like Google, Bing, and Yandex to grasp the content easily.
- converting content into the other formats other than HTML like PDF, Jpeg, etc.
- A single content can be revisioned and different versions can be managed.
- Using templates to make content beautiful, clean, and attractive.
- Creating SEO friendly URLs that are used by search engines.
- Wide range of support and help from professionals, developers, and community.
- Security hardening and security features.
- Easy user management with different levels.
- Advanced Admin panel to manage the CMS background and foreground.
- Fewer server resources requirements.
Using CMS provides a lot of advantages against development of web site manually.
- No coding and technical knowledge are required to create, update, and manage content. This is the most popular advantage where different kinds of people can create a web site with a CMS without technical knowledge.
- CMS provides easy collaboration by providing a web interface and access from different locations with different user accounts. Multiple user accounts can be created to the user a CMS and create, update, and manage content. Alternatively, a content publishes process can be created by adding multiple accounts and approvement.
- SEO can be accomplished with CMS and related plugins. SEO is a hard job where a lot of technical experience required but with some plugins most of the SEO can be done easily just installing and making small configuration. Page titles and meta descriptions can be customized, SEO friendly URLs can be created, XML sitemaps created automatically, etc.
- Changing the theme and visual view of the site is very easy just installing a new theme and activating it. There is no need for extra configuration or editing the content or code.
What Kind Of Websites Can Be Created with CMS Software?
Even some CMS software is created for specific types of usage most of the CMS software can be used for different purposes. Especially the “Plugin” and “Extension” usage can add a lot of features to the classical CMS software. Below are some of the example web site categories which can be created by using CMS software and “Plugins”.
Static Websites can be created with a CMS even CMS is generally used for dynamic content. Using CMS for static websites can be useful if we change our minds and want a more dynamic web site without changing the web site infrastructure.
Blog is the most popular use case for the CMS where different types of blogs can be created by using CMS software. Personal, Technical, Informational blogs can be created with the CMS software.
Forumscan be created with CMS software by using some plugins which will add forum features to the classical CMS software.
Social Networks is another use case for the CMS software.
ECommerce is another popular use case for CMS software where with some integrations products and services can be sold over the CMS software easily.
Portfolios is useful to provide information about our services and products which can be easily implemented with CMS software.
How Does a CMS Work?
CMS is a software that mainly provides two types of interfaces named user or web site interface and the administration interface. Web site interface provides the content in a human-friendly manner. All content management, update, template editing is done inside the administration interface and the web site will show these contents like a regular web site.
CMS is created with some programming or scripting languages like PHP, Python, Ruby, C# where flow and logic can be created easily. This logic and flow make the CMS special with detailed and dynamic usage. There is no need or must to create code or script manually in a CMS.
The website does not have any special configuration where all management is done in the administration interface. In some cases, very little administration related tasks can be shown to the logged-in administrator on the web site. But this is very limited.
What makes the CMS favorable is the administration interface. Below we can see the “WordPress” admin panel where a new post is created. The administration panel provides the following functions.
- Create, Update and Manage Posts
- Create, Update and Manage Pages
- Create, Update and Manage Categories
- Install, Update and Remove Plugins
- Manage Theme
- Manage Comments
- Create, Update and Manage Users
- Upload and Manage Media File, Images, Video
Popular CMS Software
Currently there are a lot of CMS software those are used by millions of people. Below we will list some of the most popuar CMS software below.
Joomla is the first CMS which is very popular and wide spread. Joomla provides similar features to the WordPress where it was very popular about 10 years ago with plugins, built-in multi lingual support. etc.
WordPress is the king of the CMS world and the most popular CMS. WordPress provides an advanced editor named “Gutenberg” to edit the page and post content. WordPress provides a lot of plugins in different categories from SEO to Forum, from eCommerce to Learning Management System. Even chat systems can be added to WordPress easily by using plugins.
Drupal is an alternative and more secure CMS to WordPress. Drupal is heavily used by government agencies like NASA, Whitehouse, etc. Like WordPress, Drupal provides lots of plugins to add new features to the CMS. Currently Drupal contains 45,000 plugins officially.
Magento is a CMS designed to be used as an eCommerce store for free.