Integrated Development Environment simply IDE is a tool used to develop applications in an easy, fast and reliable way. There is a lot of different IDE for different programming languages, platforms, and operating systems.
Different types of IDE’s provide different features. Here will provide some of the popular features provided by an average IDE.
- `Integrated Tools` will provide programming and scripting language tools in an integrated manner which makes use of them very easy
- `Intelligent Code Editor` will provide coding helpers like errors, warnings help auto code completion
- `Smart Code Navigation` will provide easily navigate and trace code in big projects with a lot of files and folders with sub-projects
- `Compiler` will provide the compilation where the given programming language needs.
- `Debugger` will provide debugging and check the compiled binaries run
- `Refactoring` will run refactoring during code development and provide suggestions
- `Different Programming and Scripting Language Support` will make the IDE complete by supporting multiple related programming and scripting languages which can reside in a single project.
- `Interactive Console` will provide an interactive shell or console to issue commands related to the project and get the output in a terminal manner
- `Version Control` will provide versioning code and making easy to track changes
- `Plugins` will provide a lot of useful features as an extra to the existing IDE
In this part, we will learn basic components provided by IDE. We will use
PyCharm as IDE as en example.
- `Project Tab` resides in the left line which lists current project resources like code file, libraries, DLLs, scripts, and executables
- `Terminal` resides on the bottom of the IDE where there is a cursor blinking and waiting for command input. The output also printed to this console.
- `Code Editor` is located in the main pane where the Python code can be seen
We can also see other components in the main menu like Refactor, Tools, Code, View, etc.
Popular IDE List
There is a lot of different IDE related to different programming languages. In this part, we will list some of the popular.
Visual Studio, Code::Blocks, CLion, Dev-C++,CodeLite, Eclipse
C#, Visual Basic
Visual Studio, MonoDevelop, SharpDevelop
Visual Studio, Atom, WebStorm, PHPStorm, Eclipse
Netbeans, PhpStorm, Zend Studio, Eclipse
PyCharm, IDLE, Eclipse, Atom