MKV is a flexible, open standard video file format that quickly became the preferred file extension for HD video on the internet.
Matroska- MKV History
MKV development is started in Russia in 2002. MKV is a short form of the Matroska Video where Matroska is a Russian toy originally named
matryoshka. The lead developer Lasse Karkkainen and the Matroska company founder Steve Lhomme with a team of programmers created this wonderful multimedia format or container. Matroska is an open source project which means its source code and algorithm is free to access and use for personally. Also, the improved version of MVK is forked and created a similar format named
WebM by Google in 2010.
What Are MKV Files?
MKV is a multimedia container format. But MKV is generally known as a compression but it is not. MKV file format provides the data structure of the audio, video and other informational data. The actual audio and video are generally compressed with the formats like H.264, H.265, MP3, ACC, etc.
MKV file format is designed to be dynamic for use in the feature without a problem. This means MKv will not become outdated because of some key features like below.
- `Fast Seek` provides easy and fast seek for a given time a multimedia
- `Chapter` provides creating chapters in a file and step to them easily
- `Menu` provides show some menu and its data like an interactive manner
- `Metadata` provides put some useful data for specific purposes
- `Multiple Audio Channels` provide to support multiple and different language audio files to be played
- `Multiple Video Channels` provide to support multiple and different video streams to be played.
- `Online Streaming` can be used to cast video and sound stream in a computer network to different devices like TV, Tablet, Projection, etc.
- `Subtitle` can be inserted as hard-coded or soft-coded
- `Error Recovery` is used to playback even some part of video and sound data is corrupted.
Set Default MKV Player For Windows
In Windows operating systems like 10, XP, 8, Server the default MKV file player is the default one provided. This is named as
Windows Media Player. Windows Media Player can play popular video formats but lack a lot of useful features. so VLC Player is one of the popular 3rd party MKV players for Windows. But the default player is set as
Windows Media Player. We can set the default player VLC for MKV files like below.
First, we right click to an MKV file which is named as
SampleVideo_1280x720_30m.mkv in this example. Then we will click to the
Properties like below.
General tab will be opened like below. We will click to the
Change button in other to change
Opens with default application.
Here we will see a list of Media Players which can play the MKV files. We will select the
VLC media player like below and click
Then we will see the change from the
General tab of the file properties like below.
VLC media player is set and open the MKV files.
MKV File Properties
We can see details of the MKV file and codec from the following
Current Media Information screen. We can open this screen which is provided by VLC
Media Information like below.
The following screen provides information like
- Media Stream 0 and 1
- `Codec` specifies the compression algorithm
- `Type` provides the current stream is video or audio
- `Video resolution` is the size of the video in bits
- `Frame rate` is the frames shown in a second which is 25 frames in second in this example
- `Sample Rate` is audio Hertz value for the quality
- `Bits per sample` is the data quality of the voice.
MKV is open and popular media format which is supported by a lot of different video players here are some of the popular MKV players for Windows operating system.
- VLC Media Player
- Media Player Classic