What Is System Administrator and Duties ?
Information Technology or IT provides a lot of positions for technical personnel. System Administrator is the most popular position or role in the IT except Programmers or Applications Developers. In this tutorial we will try to explain the System Administrator role and its duties.
System is a general term to refer a complete hardware and software which can run applications on. Actually network devices like switch, router can be named as system but they are generally not referred as system. Systems have different hardware like X86, X86_64, Spark, Itanium, ARM etc. Systems also have different operating systems like Windows, Linux, Ubuntu, MacOS, Unix etc.
Administrator is a role which administrate given devices. Administrator is different then manager becuase administrator generally refers a technical role.
System Administrators generally responsible from different devices, servers like web server, database server, file server etc. System administrators generally responsible for Data Center, storage, access to the system room etc.
Duties or Role Description
A System Administrator in general will have following responsibilities.
- Installing, maintaining and troubleshooting workstations, servers, OSs, software applications and other computing systems
- Creating user accounts and assigning user permissions
- Setting up system-wide software
- Executing anti-virus mechanisms
- Creating backup and retrieval policies and assigning bulk storage
- Creating file systems
- Monitoring network communication
- Updating systems upon release of new OSs or software
- Implementing computer, network and security policies for system and network users
- Strategic planning for service and system outages
- Light programming or scripting
- System-related project management
- User training and management
- High-level technical knowledge and technical support experience
- Hardware and software system security, such as protection against hardware theft and abuse, malware/spyware and unauthorized use of systems and components, including firewall and intrusion detection system(IDS) maintenance
Linux System Administrator
Linux system Administrators mainly expected to be familier with the Linux command line tools. The Linux system administrator also should use different Linux distributions like Ubuntu, CentOS, RHEL, Debian which are used in Enterprise area.
Windows System Administrator
Windows System Administrators generally uses Active Directory and Domain with different Windows Server versions like 2008, 2012, 2016. Windows Systems administrators generally uses GUI for system administration but currently Powershell became main stream in Windows system administration.
Devops is a new term which is used for System Administrators with Application Development or Advenced scripting capabilities. Today IT environment contains a lot of systems with similar type in bulk. Configuring them one by one is daunting task and devops techniques like orchestration, automation and scripting make it easy.
Today IT systems connected to the intranets or internet in order to provide services. So system administrators also administrate their systems network configuration. This requires the System Administrators to know some networking in order to configure and troubleshoot the system network configuration.